What Should America be?
Trump is a rascal
A grown-up Eddie Haskell
He would build a wall between us and Mexico
While Hillary takes money from Texaco
Trump doesn’t give a damn about facts
And Hillary sold herself to Goldman-Sachs
The truth is dead, lying on a gurney
So whatever happened to Bernie?
Flawed candidates, no doubt. So whom will I vote for? It’s easy for me, because ultimately it’s about more than the candidates. They represent two vastly different philosophies of life. Two visions of America.
Here’s my vision for America:
- I want to see equal rights for all Americans. I don’t care how they look, where they came from, what their sexual orientation is…or anything else.
- I want to see action on the most serious problem of our time – global warming. To hear Trump say that it’s a Chinese hoax is appalling.
- I want to see a thoughtful and humane solution to the immigration problem. Building a wall is as offensive to me as the Berlin wall was to the world.
- I want to see common sense gun control. Period. Fuck the NRA.
- I’m sick of trickle-down economics and its time-honored tax breaks for the rich. It’s never worked. Except for the rich.
- I want to see policies that promote the growth of the middle class.
- I want a country that tackles poverty and racism head on.
- I want to see a serious respect for science.
- I want to see religion out of politics, as the founders intended. Christian extremism is as dangerous as other types of extremism.
- I want to see the role of money in elections reduced – and Citizens United overturned.
- I want to see term limits for Congress.
Hillary Clinton is certainly not George Washington. But if you believe as I do, you must vote for her, or put the country in the hands of a power-hungry narcissist and a Christian evangelist who once proclaimed that cigarettes don’t kill.
What’s your vision for America?